Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Call Waiting


I got my first Smart Phone last month. I didn’t want to. But my flip phone broke without warning one afternoon, and that was that. I pulled it out of the deep abyss I call my “purse”, and the industrial strength plastic around the hinges fell off. Then the phone refused to close, and suddenly I was thrown headlong into progress. I hate progress.

I had no idea which phone to get as a replacement, but there were only three flip phones in the Verizon store—rotary dial, at that—and I knew I’d have to enter the new millennium sometime. Which reminds me. Since when do we need an entire building devoted only to Polly Pocket-sized phones? And these stores are crowded! What’s so thrilling about shopping in a telephone store? I. Am.So.Old.

So I interviewed Smart Phone users. Owners with experience. Professionals. Ten-year-olds mostly. I needed to know which one of the nearly two million different Smart Phones currently on the market would meet my personal needs. The overwhelming opinion there was that I should definitely upload Angry Birds and Words With Friends as soon as the battery charged up.

However, no one told me the one thing I needed to know more than anything else—how to dial or answer my new phone. Which I now prefer to call my Smart Aleck Phone. The first day I had it, while attempting to place a call to my son, I somehow brought up the qwerty screen and couldn’t get out of it. So I texted him this frantic message: “Call me. At home. I don’t know how to answer my cell phone.” Of course, he lives in Kentucky and I don’t, so the communication gap wasn’t narrowed much, even with his help. And besides, he uses a Blackberry.

I spent the whole afternoon reading the directions tucked into my box from Verizon, as well as their shortcuts for dummies, trying with very little success to teach myself how to use my own phone. Until finally, at the end of the afternoon, I did it. I overcame the learning curve.

That little rectangle of frustration landed square against the wall in one straight shot—with no curve at all.

I may be old, but I have pretty good aim.

8 comments:

  1. LOL I am blessed to work with a bunch of young folk who understand all that stuff. I can show you how to get rid of the keyboard and a couple other tricks. If I ever get out of my LaZBoy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd call you to get that advice, but I'd have to text you first. :) Rob says Heat-Ice-Ibuprofin. Repeat as necessary. Which would be, like, til you feel better. Feel better!

      Delete
  2. well you just convinced me of ever upgrading out of my flip phone. well...maybe by the time mine breaks you will be an expert..but i am T-mobile...i think thats another part of the conspiracy...no two phone carriers are alike:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I bought a Droid, but Katy uses an iPhone, so she gave me some help, but they're not exactly the same. I had to take my phone to the Verizon store at the end of that first day so they could show me how to answer the phone. I'm thinking of getting a flip phone to keep in my purse for emergencies; like when Angry Birds freezes my screen and suddenly I need to call 911 but can't. Other than that, it's a great little purse computer. ;)

      Delete
  3. My current cell phone is a *little* more advanced than a flip phone, but I've been chastised for not having a data plan so I can read email and access the web, so I think you just flew by me technologically. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! I just found out what "data plan" means -- more money every month. :) It's love/hate at this point. Plus, I've developed a new addiction (like I need another one). Angry Birds rocks.

      Delete
  4. You have Words with Friends and haven't asked me to play a game??? Humph.. On second thought, playing with such an expert wordsmith as you..am I up for the challenge??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on! I didn't know you like Scrabble. :) Coming to your inbox soon . . .

      Delete